Monday, May 3, 2010

Plan B the Review

I was blessed to be able to get one of 500 Plan B books that were being given away by booksneeze.com (and let me tell you it was not an easy process - the Thomas Nelson website crashed and I kept trying even in the middle of a psych lecture lol). So I am now going to share my review of Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up The Way You Thought He Would. It is a brand new book by Pete Wilson who is the pastor at Cross Point Community Church in Nashville, TN.

First of all I would like to say that God has some interesting timing. I have already been in the midst of a Plan B circumstance and had a huge blow happen in my life personally on April 15th. I was in a car accident that subsequently left me with a totaled car and a sprained back. The book came in the mail the day after the accident happened. Nice timing huh?

Everyone of us has times in our lives where we are living in what is referred to as a Plan B circumstance. We have dreams for our lives (our Plan A's) and when life is not turning out as we had hoped it would we are in the midst of our Plan B's. Plan B's are painful. I know because I speak from personal experience as I have been in one for the past 7 years. You see in October of 2003 I was fired from my teaching position at Dawson State Jail for sharing my faith. When I first lost my job, I was applying for anything and everything, but finding that nothing was happening. Then I thought perhaps I am to pursue school counseling. I started to work on finishing up my school counseling certification. Guess what happened when it got down to only needing one semester of practicum and one semester of internship - it was not coming together. I have been doing whatever it is that God puts in front of me as I seek to find what it is He would have for me. But it has not come together yet like I hoped it would. I am trying. Then enter into all of this April 15th 2010 when my Plan B situation got a little more Plan Bish. I was in a car accident that has left me without a car. It was declared totaled by Allstate. I had a rental car up until Saturday, but now have no means of transportation unless I call someone or I use my feet. I am like ummm God what is going on? I knew this was not a surprise, but still what is going on.

As I have been reading through Plan B I have found that it is not so much about a cut and dry solution, it is about finding strength and hope to know that God is in the midst of it all with you. One of the things I enjoy is Pete's genuineness, authenticity, and heart that comes through. At times you will find yourself crying and at other times you will say wow this is really kicking me in the boot-ay (that would be chapters 10-13).

I leave you with this from Plan B: "It's amazing the bright light God allows our lives to become when we give Him all we have in the midst of the darkness."

No comments: