Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Birthday Zetas!!

Today is December 3, 2010. It is a special day today. Not only because it is day 3 of "The 24 Days of Christmas on the Great Faith Adventure" but because it is a day that has some special meaning to me personally (no not my birthday). In the fall of 1990 at California State University, Fresno I decided to finally do something I had been wanting to do for most of that year - I went to rush for the Eta Omega chapter of Tau Beta Sigma. I was accepted into the pledge program as part of the Zeta class and I and 14 others (5 for Kappa Kappa Psi and 10 for Tau Beta Sigma) embarked upon a journey that would stretch us beyond our limits (and cause some of us to switch from being a nursing major to a liberal studies major and one of us *cough hack me* to get a D in one of her major classes a semester before she was to graduate). There were times when I thought I would quit (ok the entire class wanted to quit one night - screw up the alphabet lol). But I am glad I and the others did not quit. I still remember how we were at the start of our pledge period - all happy and go lucky, but towards the end (12 weeks thank you very much!) we had changed. We had been grown and stretched and weren't as happy go lucky. So what is the significance of December 3rd? Well it was on this day that I was initiated into the Eta Omega chapter of Tau Beta Sigma. I had no clue it was going to happen that day. We were just told that we had a formal convert that evening. I still remember the day. I was hanging out with Tony (one of my pledge trainers) and Ann (she was roomies with my big sister Joan) and I still remember at one point during the day the three of us were hanging out in Ann and Joan's dorm room. Tony asked me if I wanted to play 52 pick up (do not ask me how the heck I got to college and had never even heard of that lol) So me being the naive person I was back then said "Sure I want to play". Then Tony proceeded to drop a deck of cards on the floor and told me to pick them up. Of course me being an ever so eager to do what my pledge trainers said pledge went right to it. If only I had known then what I know now lol There are crazy stories from that time too that I may share next year when the Zetas are finally legal lol (we'll be 21!!).



Today's song is Angels We Have Heard On High. You will be getting a treat - Third Day is performing it!!

_______________________________________________________________________

The words for Angels We Have Heard On High were based on a traditional French Carol: Les Anges dans nos campagnes which means "Angels in our countryside". The author is unknown. In 1862 by James Chadwick. He was a Bishop in the Roman Catholic church. There were many adjustments to it prior to the translation by Chadwick. We sing his version today. The song is most often sung to the tune of Gloria which was arranged by Edward Shippen Barnes. The song commemorates the birth of Jesus that is found in the Gospel of Luke.

_______________________________________________________________________

Angels we have heard on high,
Sweetly singing o'er the plains,
And the mountains in reply
Echoing their joy astray.

Shepherds why this jubilee?
Why your joyous strains prolong?
What the gladsome tidings be
Which inspire your heavenly song?

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Gloria in excelsis Deo.

Come to Bethlehem and see
Him whose birth the angels sing
Come adore on bended knee
Christ the Lord the newborn King

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Gloria in excelsis Deo.

See Him in the manger lay
Jesus, Lord of heaven and earth
Mary Joseph, lend your aid
With us sing our Savior's birth

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Gloria in excelsis Deo.

_______________________________________________________________

No comments: