Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Feet Hurt - I Did A 10K!!

Well today I got up this morning before 8 am. Before 7:30 am even. On a Saturday even. I decided that I was going to go do the Winter Run 2010. I am proud of myself because I made it there in time to get registered (cut-off was 8:15 and I was there at 8:11 lol). There were two races that were starting at 9 am - the 2 mile walk/run and the 10K. I hadn't quite made up my mind what I was going to do until I go to where I had a choice. I could make the turn and do the 2 mile one or I could go straight and do the 10K. I chose to go straight! Yep you read that right - I chose to follow through with walking the 10K part of it. That translates to 6.2 miles. I have never marched let lone walked 6.2 miles (the longest parade I marched was the Hollywood Christmas Parade in 1986 and 1987). It is also longer than the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade (it is 5 1/2 miles). A couple of places on the route I found myself saying - well if I can march a parade with a band uniform on while playing cymbals then I can easily walk a 10K. And you know what? I did it! I came in last place yet again, but I did it!! It took about 2 hours, 13 minutes and a few seconds. I did figure out along the route that I can walk a 20 minute mile. Not too shabby.


Me crossing the finish line. Last place!!

___________________________________________________________________________
Today's song on the 24 Days of Christmas on The Great Faith Adventure is Silent Night. I am going to use the Britney Spears version for the video. Say what you may say about the girl, but she can sing. And I liked her version the best after hearing a few others (plus I want to mix it up with different artists!).

Silent Night was originally written in German in 1816 as Stille Nacht by Josef Mohr (1792-1848) who was an Austrian priest. The melody was written in 1818 by Franz X. Gruber (1787-1863)who was an organist and school teacher. It was first performed at the Church of St. Nicholas in Oberndorf, Austria on Christmas day 1818. In 1859 John Freeman Young who was second Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Florida published the English translation that is most frequently sung today. Also, the version that we sing today differs slightly from Gruber's original version (it was a sprightly dance-like tune in 6/8 time). It's been translated into over 44 different languages and recorded over 300 times. Silent Night was also sung simultaneously in French, English and German by troops during the Christmas truce of 1914 because t was one of the few carols that soldiers on both sides of the front line knew.

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Saviour is born
Christ, the Saviour is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth


No comments: