Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Tonight was the Fielder Road Baptist Church Choir and Orchestra concert and i got to play in it!! I have not played in a Christmas concert in many years (I don't even think that I did when i was still at First Baptist Dallas). It was fun and Peg Bundy my hybrid clarinet did as well as she could for a plastic clarinet (percussion is my main instrument so I think it is okay that I get away with having a clarinet made out of plastic - or the fancy word resonite). It was nice to be able to play this year since it is hard sometimes to just sit back and watch (it is the performer in me - the band geek you might say). I also ^faint now* wore a skirt. I have an outfit I bought a while back that I refer to as my concert black and I only wear it when I am playing in a formal orchestra or community band concert. So tonight out it came for the performance. It still fits (but I hope in a year it will be too big as I am going to start walking 3 days a week and doing my hell rider another 2 days and reccop on the weekends).

In other news, I saw the mom I made a meal for in November. I am part of the Blessed Expectations Ministry at my church where whenever someone has a baby in the church I get an e-mail asking if I can help make and deliver a meal. It is quite fun and I have done this three times since September. I also have tried some new recipes. Anyway the mom I saw today is named Sarah and she and her husband are super nice! We just hit it off so well and I am happy to say that they liked the quesadilla casserole I made for them and are still alive (I did make it for myself after I had made it for them - and it is indeed quite yummy).

Today's song on the 24 Days of Christmas on The Great Faith Adventure is Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I am going to use a Take 6 video. They are awesome!

__________________________________________________________

Hark the Herald Angels Sing was written by Charles Wesley who is the younger brother of John Wesley (they were both part of the Methodist movement). It appeared in 1739 in a book called Hymns and Sacred Poems under the topic "Hymns for Christmas-Day". It has changed from the original draft of the song. Also, the tune was different than the one that we sing today. A small change in the words resulted in the familiar song we know today. In 1855, William H. Cummings who was an English musician adapted Felix Mendelssohn's secular music from Festgesang to fit the lyrics of “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."

Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Christ by highest heav'n adored
Christ the everlasting Lord!
Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

No comments: