Monday, December 6, 2010

Somewhere Over The Chestnuts?

It is chilly today!! I know I know - turn the heat on so it won't be 61 degrees inside, but hey I am trying to conserve and save a bit of money. The winter is when i can actually get away with having my electric bill be a bit lower since I can bundle up to stay warm - the summer not so much. I can strip down (sorry for any visual images that may have caused lol) and still not going to be any cooler lol). The one thing I do like about the winter months when it gets cold is my kitties like to get all cuddly with me (Ella was in the chair with me earlier right behind my back - she was warm too. She needs to come back and hang out with me!!).

I also would like to say one more thing - what the heck is going on with the unemployment extension? I am confused as I know many others are that are in my situation. I am continuing to apply for jobs, I just need some call backs and some interviews. My problem is not the apply part - it is the get a call back for an interview part. I do pray for me to have a job by January in Nashville because this is sucking - unemployed for 7 months now. I have had periods of unemployment before, but it was not this bad. The longest it took me once was 6 months, but I had interviewed for the job in August or September and then got hired in December. And I was also subbing a couple of days a week in Ferris. And I got hired as my unemployment was running out. My unemployment has so far ran out once and I got it extended. Not sure what it going to happen in January since it has been extended to January. But I do pray that I will be hired full time by January in Nashville :)

Today's song on the 24 Days of Christmas on the Great Faith Adventure is The Christmas Song. You probably recognize the famous first line "Chestnuts roasting on an open firs" I remember when I was in high school (Monache Band is awesome!!) and we'd have a Christmas assembly every year on the Friday before we got out for Christmas break. Mr. Anderson (best band director ever!!) and Mr. Topping would sing the Christmas Song. Pretty cool. And yep they were the entire music department at the school lol I loved it though!! Then many years later when I was teaching a 2nd/3rd grade combination class in Porterville, we did a Christmas program and I had my students learn to recite the Christmas Song (happy to say we got a nice compliment from the principal!!).

The Christmas Song was written in 1944 by Me Torme and Bob Wells. It was first recorded by Nat King Cole in 1946 with his trio at Capital Records. He decided it was missing something and re-did it with a string section. In 1974 it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. The original track was released to the public for purchase and play in 1989.

The video that I picked out is Mel Torme and Judy Garland singing it. Ya gotta love it. The Golden age of Hollywood. They don't make movies like those anymore and everyone in the entertainment industry back then. They were awesome especially Lucille Ball!! But I digress. Enjoy the video :)

No comments: