Monday, December 13, 2010

Yay For Mini-Vacations!!

I am in Cedar Park, TX for the next few days. It is near Austin and I decided to go ahead and come down for an interview and also to see my good friends Josh and Grace. Yay! I am sooo very glad that i did as I needed this time to get away. I got to go with them to buy a Christmas tree and help decorate (I have no room in my place and Ella would probably destroy it - I don't know yet as I have not tempted fate. I will see in a year lol). Tomorrow after my interview I am going to go be all touristy and FINALLY go see UT and then the history museum. And I am going to buy a shot glass of UT. Yay! Can't wait (and yes I know I am a geek - I like to tour colleges and my parents like to tour cemeteries - werid family lol).

So today's song on the 24 Days of Christmas on the Great Faith Adventure is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. I have gone with David Archuleta yet again. What can I say? I really like him. So young, but so gifted! And he can sing!!

Songwriters Hugh Martin and Ralph Blaine wrote "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" for Judy Garland's 1944 movie, Meet Me in St. Louis. The song began with the melody, but Hugh Martin could not make it work with anything so he threw it away. Ralph Blaine thought it was too good and they were able to find the melody in the trash can. They started working on the words and when they gave the first draft to Judy Garland, she thought it was too sad and wanted a revision. The film producers said no it was a sad scene but they wanted an upbeat song. So they worked on it and got the one for the movie.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Make the Yule-tide gay,
From now on,
our troubles will be miles away.

Here we are as in olden days,
Happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more.

Through the years
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself A merry little Christmas now.

I was going to try and put the Judy Garland version on here, but embedding was disabled. Now I have to go see the movie :)

No comments: