Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Little Drummer Boy

Icemaggedon 2013 update: church was cancelled this morning, It is starting to melt now, but it is not all gone and what has not melted will re-freeze tonight when temperatures go below freezing again. I have no idea if there is school tomorrow. If there is I will not pick up a full day job - only an afternoon job because I am chicken to drive with any ice on the road. I was in a car accident in ice in 2003 and it has made me super cautious. A new problem that is going to be occurring is ice falling off the roofs. I am also going to want to be careful there - do not want to have any damage done to me or my car. School districts are also keeping an eye on the weather to see how things will be in the morning. I hate that I have missed a day of work and pay. And that I am going to have a short 2 pay checks this month. Praying for God's provisions this month and praying for me to be able to start the permanent sub position January 7th.

Okay so today's installment on the 24 Days of Christmas is The Little Drummer Boy. This one is also another favorite song of mine. I think it is because I am a percussionist :) The Little Drummer Boy was originally known as Carol of the Drum. It was written in 1941 by Katherine Kennicott Davis who was a music teacher and composer. It was recorded in 1955 by the Trapp Family Singers. It was made more popular in 1958 when it was recorded again by the Harry Simeone Chorale. It has been recorded over the years by numerous musicians. The one I have chosen is by one of my favorite music groups of all time - Jars of Clay.

Come, they told me (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
A newborn king to see (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Our finest gifts we bring (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
To lay before the king (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum x 3)
So, to honor Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
When we come

Little baby (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I am a poor boy too (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I have no gifts to bring (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
That's fit to give a king (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum x 3)
Shall I play for you (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
On my drum?


Mary nodded (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
The ox and lamb kept time (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I played my drum for Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I played my best for Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum x 3)
Then, He smiled at me (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Me and my drum
 

No comments: