Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

There are some events that happen in life that you never forget where you were on that day. I remember where I was on July 20, 1969. It was the day Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. I was either crawling around, chillin' in my playpen, or taking a nap. I remember where I was on January 28, 1986. I was first in Algebra 1 (yep as a senior lol) and then at the end of the period walked into my Humanities class where on the tv was the Challenger disaster. We sat and watched in horror. I remember where I was on August 31, 1997. I was hanging out with my now ex-boyfriend in Los Angeles and we sat as we watched in shock as we learned that Princess Diana had been killed in a car accident. I remember where I was on July 16, 1999 - I was in Porterville, CA and watched with my dad as they announced that John F. Kennedy Jr.'s plane had gone down. Today is September 11, 2009 and I remember vividly where I was on this day in 2001. I was teaching 4th grade at Anson Jones Elementary School in Dallas, TX. I was on my planning period and heard over the intercom something about planes and the trade center in New York and I couldn't understand why my principal was talking about that. Then as I saw it on television I finally understood - we had been attacked. I remember how eerily quiet the skies were that day and I remember when planes were able to start flying again.

Every year on this day since then I stop and reflect. I don't know what all to say to get my point across. But I do say this. I know that God knew ahead of time what was going to happen. It did not surprise Him. I do not think this was a punishment to the United States of America. I do know that out of tragedy God causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. We may not see it right away, but eventually we come to see it. I think that no matter what we still need to remember that we live in the best country on this earth. We have freedoms that they do not have in other countries and I absolutely love that I can stand up and proclaim the name of Jesus without fearing for my life (although I think if I were somewhere that I had to fear I would still do it anyway - life is short eternity is not). I know that we need to keep fighting in this country for our religious freedoms as well as for other freedoms and we should never ever be ashamed of where it is we come from. I love my God and I love the United States of America.

I leave you with this.

No comments: