Monday, February 15, 2010

Hear No Evil: The Review

I recently had the privilege of being selected to read and write a blog review of the newest book by Matthew Paul Turner – Hear No Evil: My Story of Innocence, Music and the Holy Ghost. Many of you may know that I am an avid reader and lately I have been in a let’s expand my horizons mode. I am reading stuff by authors I have never read before. Hear No Evil is my second book by Matthew Turner for me to read. Well let’s be honest. My first full book as I am not yet done with Churched, but that is a different story.

Hear No Evil is a collection of humorous stories from Matthew’s life that show how music has impacted and transformed his spiritual life. The stories span from his days growing up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church to his college days at Belmont University to his days as an editor at CCM Magazine to now.
From the moment I opened the book I felt like I was transplanted into the world of Matthew Turner. He paints a vivid picture as he tells his stories which makes it easy to see yourself sitting right there experiencing the adventure with him. In addition he leaves you laughing a lot as he goes from one story to the next. A few of my favorites were – his discussion with his friend Willie about God’s voice and God telling them what their careers should be, his adventures in purchasing Amy Grant’s Heart in Motion tape, and the day he and his family were at Sea World and he got his calling to be the Michael Jackson of Christian music. But even better than the humorous stories is how through each experience Matthew got a little closer to experiencing more and more of God’s grace.

If I had to sum it all up in one final sentence: OMG go buy the book you will not be sorry.

Now before I post a link for where you can purchase this book and some other awesome books, if you think you might want to win a copy of this book all you have to do is leave me some comment love this week and include your favorite song. The deadline to enter is Friday February 19th. I will pick the winner on Saturday morning. Please make sure I know how to contact you.

Okay here is the link where you can go get this and other awesome books from Random House:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400074723

3 comments:

Kelly Dawn said...

my favorite song? ummmm let me see - i have lots of favorites :) at the moment? Cryin For Me - (Waymans Song) by Toby Keith

Kelly Dawn said...

gonna link you over at my place :)

Caleb Lazo said...

Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin