Saturday, December 14, 2013

Carol of the Bells

I have been enjoying my Saturday. It has been a lazy day, but fine by me, After it taking 2 hours to get home from work the past 3 days being lazy on my Saturday is exactly what I need. I am getting a sneak peek as to what Christmas break will be like (that begins as soon as I know that I can leave the school next Friday). I have been thinking about taking the train and the bus to work, but after looking at how long that will take me to get back, I might as well take the surface streets that Julissa told me about (thanks girl!).

Okay you are in for a treat today. I decided to go with Carol of the Bells and when I was looking to see which group I could use I found a great video by Pentatonix. I listened to it and was hooked! Then I did some research - they won season 3 of the Sing Off. Coolios! I love me some good acapella music. I know you will too!

The music for Carol of the Bells was written by Mykola Leontovych while the lyrics were written by Peter J. Wilhousky. It is based on a Ukranian chant known as Shchedryk. It is written as a four-note ostinato. Meaning it repeats in the same musical voice at the same musical pitch. It was introduced to the western part of the world on October 5, 1921 when the Ukranian National Chorus was doing a concert at Carnegie Hall.

Hark! how the bells
Sweet silver bells
All seem to say,
"Throw cares away."
Christmas is here
Bringing good cheer
To young and old
Meek and the bold

Ding, dong, ding, dong
That is their song
With joyful ring
All caroling
One seems to hear
Words of good cheer
From ev'rywhere
Filling the air

Oh how they pound,
Raising the sound,
O'er hill and dale,
Telling their tale,
Gaily they ring
While people sing
Songs of good cheer
Christmas is here
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas

On, on they send
On without end
Their joyful tone
To ev'ry home
 
Ding, dong ding, dong


No comments: