Monday, December 16, 2013

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Commence the start of the last week before a 2 week Christmas break. My car Kayla the Kia Rio is looking forward to not being  being stuck in traffic for 2 hours. I will be looking forward to not having to awaken by 5:30 am. When I was regular subbing I could get away with getting up at 7 am if needed and pick up a last minute sub job, but now that I am a permanent sub at a school that is a lot farther away from me, that cannot be done. I have to leave between 7:20 and 7:30 so as to make it by 8:45 am. That's okay though. This job just goes until the end of the school year so I can make it until June 5th or 6th. I am just very glad that I now know the back streets to take home so maybe it will not be a 2 hour drive home.
Today's installment on the 24 Days of Christmas is a song we probably can sing in our sleep. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. How many of you used to add stuff to the song as you were singing? Like this: "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer (reindeer) a very shiny nose (like a light bulb)." I did and still do when I hear it on the radio.

The song was written by Johnny Marks and was based on the 1939 story which was published by Montgomery Ward as in the department store Montgomery Ward (I believe the brick and mortar stores are all defunct and they are now only online). Harry Brannon was the first one to sing it, but Gene Autry is the one that made it a number one hit. It has been performed by many artists over the years. I had a hard time deciding who to pick from. I decided that I liked the Barry Manilow and Jose Feliciano one the best. Which now I am going to have to get me a Barry Manilow cd. They did add in a few things (which when I was looking through and listening found it was what Ella Fitzgerald and Bing Crosby did). Anyway, hope you enjoy this! I sure did!

You know Dasher and Dancer, and Prancer and Vixen,
Comet and Cupid, and Donner and Blitzen,
But do you recall, the most famous reindeer of all?

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Had a very shiny nose,
And if you ever saw it,
You could even say it glows.

All of the other reindeer
Used to laugh and call him names;
They never let poor Rudolph
Join in any reindeer games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve,
Santa came to say:
"Rudolph with your nose so bright,
Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"
Then how the reindeer loved him
As they shouted out with glee,
"Rudolph the red-nosed Reindeer,
You'll go down in history."


No comments: