Monday, November 17, 2014

The Gospel Changes Everything


I love it when stuff happens and it gives me an idea for a blog post. That has happened a few times. I do not know if I should thank the people that indirectly gave me the idea or not, but nonetheless I got an idea.

So on Saturday I got into a discussion with a friend of mine who is also a fellow Christian about me saying someone was not a Christian due to the person's lifestyle. My friend asked me how I knew the person I was referring to was not a Christian. I once again pointed out the lifestyle of the person in question. My friend then asked me how I knew and if God told me. No God did not tell me directly, but I think that as Christians when it comes to living out the gospel in the lives of others and to sharing Christ with others, God helps us to know in our hearts of someone is indeed a Christian or not. I believe that one of the things that can help us to know is the lifestyle of others and even if the person in question ever prayed to receive Christ as his Savior, he certainly is not where he needs to be. But I do sincerely believe with all my heart that this person is not a believer. He may believe in God, but believing in God does not make you saved. Even the demons believe. Romans 10:9 says: "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."  Right there in the Bible. The very word of God, it is more than a matter of simply believing. It involves confessing with your mouth. And in Romans 10:13 it says" "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." So becoming born again involves an act on our part of calling on the name of the Lord with our mouth and asking Him to save us. Just not simply believing. It is not that I am judging the person whose salvation was in question because of their lifestyle. I am not. But I do know that when I see the lifestyle this person that I am praying for is leading, it does make me think that they are not a born again Christian.

This has led me to wonder just how many other Christians assume that someone is a Christian and therefore do not take the time to do what we have been commanded to do in Matthew 28:19-20 - where Jesus tells us that we are to go and make disciples of all nations. Where we assume everyone is a Christian no matter how they are leading their lives. If every one that calls himself or herself a born again Christian took that stance, how would we fulfill the Great Commission of Jesus. He said to make disciples of all nations. It is easy when it comes to a foreign country and sending out missionaries. That is seems to be acceptable. But what about right here on the home front of the good old United States of America? What about the mission field that is right in front of you? Just because this country was founded as a Christian nation does not mean every single person in America is a born again Christian.It is possible that your next door neighbor who looks like the Joneses is not a believer and has never had the message of the gospel presented to them.

I am sooo glad the disciples did not take the stance of - well we are all here in Jerusalem and Jesus just went back up into the air so why go out and tell others about Him? They know who He is. We do not need to do a thing but go back to our boats and cast some rods out into the ocean. Folks I have news for you. If they had taken that stance I would not be writing this blog post today. And my blog would not be called The Great Faith Adventure. It might be called Crazy Cat Lady or something else along those lines.

We cannot. I repeat we cannot just take for granted that someone else is a Christian. We need to get off our blessed assurance (as Dr. Brunson my pastor I had at First Baptist Dallas would say) and tell others about the hope that is in Christ. Get out there and live the gospel in the lives of others. Even if it costs you (which it will - last time I checked our faith was not about health, wealth and prosperity - this is a whole other blog post that I may get into one of these days). I am not saying bash others over the head with the Bible. That is not what Jesus did. We are to live out the gospel by loving and praying and giving an account for the hope that we have in us. And pray. As we live out the gospel in the lives of others (and I prayed and God is answering my prayer even though I will not be around the person until December 1st), God will open up doors for us to share the hope that we have in us.

I cannot believe how far I have come. I used to be afraid and think it was awkward. But you know what? It is not. When God is growing you and changing you (and this is a life long process), it is natural. It is a part of who you are. And that is why I continue to pray for this person and look forward to when I am around him again and God begins to open up opportunities for me to share the hope that is in me. Yes he believes, but how truly life changing and transforming it will be when his eyes are opened to the truth and God turns his life around. I will trust God to do this because of what it says in John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Today's song is a Meredith Andrews song (note to self - get one of her cd's and also buy myself another Jars of Clay cd - the first one since for the life of me I cannot find it. Ugh).

The gospel changes everything
The turning point in history
Even now it's changing me
From who I was

The story of my Savior calls
Me to the wonder of the cross
The gospel changes everything
And it is changing me

The gospel changes everything
The turning point in history
And even now it's changing me
From who I was

The story of my Saviour calls
Me to the wonder of the cross
The gospel changes everything
And it is changing me

You saved my soul
By Your blood
And I'm undone
By Your great love
You made a way
So I could come
Just as I am
To You my God

Jesus changes everything
There is no greater mystery
That God would come to rescue me
From who I was

The kindness of my Savior calls
Me to the wonder of His love
Jesus changes everything
And He is changing me

You saved my soul
By Your blood
And I'm undone
By Your great love
You made a way
So I could come
Just as I am
To You my God
[x2]

You made a way
So I could come
Just as I am
To You my God

To You my God
Just as I am
To You my God 





No comments: